6.25.2010

PLUM BERRY CRISP

Nothing says summer to me like a crisp or cobbler.  When I was a kid, we used to spend summers on our boat in the Sacramento delta.  We would spend days jumping off the dock, sailing, swimming in the water, and getting tan in the summer sun.  One of my favorite things to do was pick blackberries.  There were entire islands covered in blackberry bushes, and we would spend afternoons collecting and eating them.  Every year for my birthday, my mom would make me a blackberry cobbler with our freshly picked berries, and on the side, homemade vanilla ice cream.  I saw this Plum Berry Crisp recipe and it took me back in time.  I can't wait to make it myself.

PLUM BERRY CRISP
Gourmet

Serves 4
Active Time: 15 Minutes
Start to Finish: 50 Minutes

Preheat oven to 450*F with rack in upper third

For Filling
1 1/2 lb purple plums, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
1 cup blueberries (5 oz)
1 cup blackberries (5 oz)
1/3 to 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar (depending on sweetness of fruit)

For Topping
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut into bits and softened
1/4 teaspoon salt

Toss together all filling ingredients on a 2-quart shallow baking dish and bake 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, blend together all topping ingredients in a bowl with your fingertips until butter is evenly distributed and mixture is crumbly.

Stir fruit filling, then sprinkle oat mixture over it and bake until topping is crisp and golden and fruit is bubbling, about 30 minutes.
{photos via Gourmet}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails