4.04.2011

DIY DAFFODIL CENTERPIECE

I love daffodils! And the best part is how ridiculously inexpensive they are here in England. Yesterday I bought 6 big bunches for only £6 at our local corner flower stand. AMAZING! I was hosting a brunch and wanted to display them as the centerpiece but was at a loss as to how to make them look elegant, yet short enough for people to talk over. I was scouring the apartment for vases to put them in when I had a brilliant idea: shot glasses. For whatever reason, this apartment accumulated quite a collection of plain shot glasses over the years (male flatmates). I had hidden them on the top shelf of the kitchen cabinet, but decided to dust them off and give it a go. The result: a beautiful center piece that was functional yet sophisticated. I think I may just have to give this a go again on Easter Sunday.
All you need are sharp clippers and as many shot glasses as you can get your hands on.
1. Fill glass 1/2 to 2/3 full with luke warm water. 
2. Cut stem on a diagonal so the flower section is 3-4 inches in length (the size will vary depending on the height of the glass). 
2. Place 2-3 stems in each shot glass.
3. Group them all together in 2 close lines down then center of the table.
Note: Change water every 2 days. Do not mix daffodils with other types of flowers. They should stay in their own vase because they give off a compound that is toxic to other flowers.
{photos by Julia Ferguson of Room for Dessert}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails